Sunday, June 8, 2008

Beauty Is The Beast


Beauty Is The Beast At The Ugly Garden Feast



What makes something beautiful and desirable in the garden and other things not beautiful? The interesting textures and shapes found in decayed, dried, or diseased plants are attractive. I find them strangely compelling. The visual intrigue of the colours and patterns are beautiful. But, is it desirable to have a garden of such things? It would be interesting to have a bed of plants in decay purposely planted for colour, form and design.

Actually such gardens do exist. It is the garden in winter. I wonder if the genious loci is telling me to pay special attention to the structure of plants in winter as I do my garden design.

Beauty is the beast at the ugly garden feast


I read some poetry about garden beauty for this blog and felt the tug of the muse myself. Beauty is the beast at the ugly garden feast - I liked the sound of it and the feel of the consonants. I was thinking of the cult classic 1932 film "Freaks". As the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

2 comments:

James Golden said...

If you don't know them, I recommend several books by Piet Oudolf and Noel Kingsbury for more information of structural plants and the beauty of plants dead and in decay.

West Coast Island Gardener said...

Hello James:)
I did not know them, but I will soon. Have just checked them out from the library:
"Natural Gardening In Small Spaces"
"Gardens By Design"
"Designing With Plants"
and, ofcourse
"Seedheads In The Garden"
Thanks so much for introducing me to them!