Monday, May 19, 2008

Could You Kill THIS?

ERROR

Enclosures
URLMIME Type
Add enclosure link
  
Bold Italic
  
Text Color Background Color
  
Link
  
Align Left Align Center Align Right
  
Numbered List Bulleted List Indent Less Indent More
  
Remove Formatting from selection
  
Preview
Check Spelling
  
Add Image
  
Hide Preview
Preview








Post and

Shortcuts: press Ctrl with: B = Bold, I = Italic, P = Publish, D = Draft more
Still Publishing Uploading Video Cancel
You can continue to edit your post during upload, but can't close this window or publish until it's finished.
Processing Video... Cancel
You can save your post and return to publish when processing is complete.
Publish Post
Save as Draft

Could You Kill THIS?




Taraxacum laevigatum


Perennial herb from a simple or branched stem-base and a thick, often deep taproot;

Stems: erect; solitary to several;
simple; hollow; glabrous or sometimes hairy above; exuding milky juice when broken
10-60 cm tall


Weeds are growing, well, like weeds, in my garden. I have spent hours weeding this last week and I do enjoy it but, like Uncle Albert, "I am so easily called away" by the beauty I see all around The Garden Brae of wildflowers and ferns and wonderful walks through the woods with Oberon.

Evidence of Weeding 
Look at the blur of that stirrup hoe go. Faithful companion Oberon by my side. BUT WAIT! What is that beautiful, exotic, naturalized species? Look at that exuberant yellow petal face looking up at me so confident and proud. Quick, Oberon, fetch the camera! Taraxacum laevigatum! Okay so it is only a dandelion but what a dandy lion it is! I am using exclamation marks because that's the feeling it gives - dozens of bright, clear, sulfur yellow exclamation marks radiating out of a center shared with a few wisps of tight, tiny petal whorls! How could I scorn nature by killing it?What would you do?
Hence forth I shall spell dande!ion with exclamation marks to commemorate the memory of this stunner
Publish Post
Save as Draft

4 comments:

Viooltje said...

My compliments, Shauna. This is by far one of the most extraordinary garden blogs I've visited. And a wee bit different than most. Without any overstatements, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of your wonderful photography, thoughts and writing style, and for a second there, it felt like walking down the wood paths in your Fern kingdom. Thank you for joining Blotanical and showing all of us gardening souls the way to your lovely place. Respect!

Greetings from the Mediterranean

Anonymous said...

I truly appreciate dandelions as early fodder for bees in spring and of course their medicinal value is huge, especially as a liver tonic. And how wonderfully folkie is dandelion wine? Children love this flower--how many mothers, aunts and grandmothers have received a cheerful bouquet of dandelions from earnest little ones! My son noted with excitement his first dandelion "fluff" this spring with a blow and a magical wish on a walk at dusk.

If more than five dandelions appear in your garden, spring has officially arrived (an old wives tale)

chey said...

I love my dandelions...and look at how beautiful they are up close! The bees love them as well.

West Coast Island Gardener said...

Hello Viooltje,

The thoughtful voice of your comments has been an incredible welcome to this wonderful world of garden bloggers. The warmth and inspiration of your blog is a tangible trip to the mediterranean via your garden. It is an uplifting walk that I enjoy regularly. Lucky are the little hedgehogs that grace your garden.

Thank you Viooltje for gracing mine.

-Shauna